Monday, July 7, 2008

Sunday in Coyoacan

Sunday, I went to Coyoacan, a suburb of Mexico City,that is probably familiar to anyone that has seen the movie Frida. This is where Friday was born and later returned to live. Her old house is now a museum, although few of her paintings are actually housed there. So after getting off the metro, you can walk through a huge lovely park/tree nursery (these are lacking in Puebla, so you come to appreciate them them you see them).


From there I headed to the old house of Leon Trotsky, where he lived after being exiled from the USSR. Stalin eventually caught up to him and he was murdered with an ice pick in the office of the house. His ashes are also in a monument on site.



Then it is just a short walk to Frida’s house, known as Casa Azul (or the blue house).

The rest of the time I just kinda wandered around Coyoacan. It is a really cute little area and it made me realize how much I miss seeing tree-lined streets, something I think we take for granted in the states. Unfortunately almost the entire main plaza and surrounding streets were torn up.


No comments: