Sunday, August 9, 2009

Fiestas, Ferias y Festivales

The weekend festivities kicked off on Thursday night with the inauguration of Puebla’s 1st Festival of Indigenous Culture and Art. The inauguration included the opening of an exhibition of typical dresses from the various regions of Puebla, dancing, music, and free food (2 types of mole, tamales, wild mushroom soup, corn fungus, and tasting of various cream liquors).


Typical dresses from the Sierra Norte of Puebla



The heads of various sponsoring agencies with their crowns of bread

The crowns from above

Saturday morning was the baby shower for Musmet and her husband Enrique. Mus used to work with us in SEMARNAT and we work with her husband, who is in CNA (national water commission). The baby looks like it is going to come out a lot like me, long. As you can see in the pictures, that def comes from dad and not Mus. The baby's name has already been picked out: Luz Mariana.

Baby Shower is also used in Spanish


Me being blindfolded and about to feed this poor child baby food



Musmet


The parents-to-be and me (note Mus is on her tippy toes in this photo)


After the baby shower I headed downtown, so here are some random picts that I liked from Puebla this weekend


Saturday afternoon I went to a food tasting associated with the indigenous cultural festival. The line for the tayoyos (masa filled with alberjón and topped with green or red salsa and cheese....pretty much the same thing as a tlacoyo, but don't tell that to anyone from Zacapoxtla) was super long, but well worth the wait. I also had some green mole and some big bunch of herb batter in egg and covered in red salsa.




Then a dance presentation started with dances from Huehuetla, Guerrero, Xicotepec de Juarez, a place I forget, and Acatlan.



Huehuetla’s presentation was their carnival dance. (Danza de Huehuetones)

The dance from the state of Guerrero is done for the Dia de los Muertos celebration.



I forget where the next group was from, but their dance was called la danza de Santiagueros. The dancer with the little wooden horse is Santiago. It represents the story of a fight against the conquistadors. At the end of their dance, they passed around 4 small glasses (made from the sugar cane plant) filled with an alcohol made from sugar cane. I was close enough to get one of the glasses.


In case there were any questions about the sharpness of the machetes...



The final dance, danza de Tecuanes, is from Acatlan and represents the struggle between life and death.




On Sunday I went to Calpan for the Feria de Chilie Enogada. The chilie enogada is a chilie poblano stuffed with meat, fruit and raisins, topped with a cream sauce made from nuts, and garnished with pomegranet. Calpan is also home to a very, very old convent.

In addition to selling chilies enogada, there were tons of stands selling the fruit and nuts needed to make the dish (only served in July and August). There were of course all sorts of sweets being sold as well.

Frying chilies and cleaning nuts for the nogada (white sauce made of nuts and cream)


Frying the chilies

The finished product

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been researching the May festival in Acatlan for some writing I'm doing, which led me to your site. I enjoyed browsing around. Your work was interesting and visually... well it's hard not to have a snap with images of Mexico, to my mind. I didn't know there was Peace Corps in Mexico. I'll be back for another look.