Sunday, March 29, 2009

Oaxaca Part II: Puerto Escondido, Laguna Manialtepec, Puerto Angel

The 1st night after arriving in Puerto Escondido, we released baby sea turtles on the beach at sunset. The funding for this turtle "campamiento" is from the singer Mana and from the cellular company, Moviestar. We released Laud (leatherbacks) and Golfino turtles.











On Thursday morning we went on a boat ride in the near-by Manialtepec Lagoon and saw a bunch of birds and iguanas. Some of the birds are nesting so we were even able to see chicks in the nests.

Woodstork with chicks












Dead sea turtle on the beach

Dead croc that was found the night before in a fishing net

In the afternoon we headed to Puerto Angel for a last afternoon on the beach before heading back to Oaxaca City and finally up to Puebla.









A last cup of coffee in Oaxaca

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, I have heard of puerto escondido didn't really know where it was located now I know, I have always, always wanted to join a release of sea turtles, I once found a turtle in my back yard didn't know much about them kept it was a character. they do have individual characters then just as I found it after four years. I let it out for a swim in the pond when I came back it was gone I always found it walking away. Id like to believe it found it's way back to freedom, into the sunset just like those turtles I'm glad I came across your blog.Sincerely Patricia Gonzalez