We had a little free time in between swearing and the end of training and our start dates for work. I traveled with a friend from the states for about 10 days in the central region of Mexico to Zacatecas, Morelia, and Pátzcuaro.
Zacatecas

About 40km outside of town, there are Aztec (actual origin is still disputed) ruins dating from 500AD called La Quemada (nickname means the burned and reflects the fiery end that the building met at the hands of the Spaniards). Getting there involved convincing a 2nd class bus to drop us at the nearest road crossing (literally in the middle of nowhere as you can see from the pictures) and then walking about 3km to the ruins and then hoping that you could flag down a bus on the way back even though it was Christmas Eve. We did make it back and spent Christmas Eve with one of my PC friends on the top of our hostel overlooking the cathedral.

Morelia
After 9.5 hours on a bus, we finally arrived in Morelia, the capital of the state of Michoacán, another colonial city. Here we did the normal looking at churches, plazas, and government buildings, but also had the chance to go to a tiny natural history museum that had the strangest collection of Siamese twin animals and deformed fetuses (no worries I’m not including the picts that I took of those). Morelia also has a fairly large market designated almost entirely to sweets which the state is famous for.
Pátzcuaro Pátzcuaro is a small town about an hour’s bus ride from Morelia. The town is near a lake (Lago de Pátzcuaro) and many of the residents of the area are Purépecha ( type of indigenous people). Just outside of town is a fairly large hill that offers good views of the town, lake, and islands on the lake. We took a small boat out to one of the islands (Isla Janitzio) that has a huge statue of Morelos on the highest point. One the second day, we visited two other small villages (Tzintzuntzan and Ihuatzio) near the lake that have Tarascan ruins. This town and surrounding areas might be one of my favorite places that I’ve visited in Mexico so far.

Pátzcuaro also had a huge market for such a small town that featured a lot of fish from the lake (which is highly polluted), a huge raw pig’s head, and chicks that were dyed and wearing football helmets.

I spent new years eve in Queretaro, where surprise surprise there were more fireworks. I really don’t think that I have been in Mexico a single day without hearing a firework. I’m currently in Puebla and about to finally start working. More about Puebla and all that in a later post……


1 comment:
Merry (exploding) Christmas and Happy (incendiary) New Year! So happy to hear that you scored some relaxation, and travel, time.
As you can tell, my xmas cards are now so late that I'll have to segue to a Valentine to your new site.
Loved this post. I've started working with my after-school kids to connect them with nature and the environment. One goal is to have them map their home towns in Mexico, and use memory, pictures, visits, field guides to identify and compare that flora and fauna to that of beautiful zone 5 in metro-Chicago. Many are from villages in Michoacan.
So cheers to more great portraits (word and pic) of specific towns and villages, plus plants and animals! And I'd love any recommendations that you might have on any great books on (especially central) Mexico's biota, geography, paleontology.
I'm bringing copies of this post to show kids next week. They'll be tickled!
Post a Comment