Today I headed off to the countryside with my host parents. These adventures are even more fun because I don’t always understand everything my host mom tells me and they also don’t necessarily give me all the details either. They have a house about 30 minutes outside of Queretaro. Once you get outside of the city it’s a pretty rugged landscape of mountains and rocky hills and lots of cactus plants. Across from their house there was even a burro tied to a cactus. They have a yellow lab at their house in Queretaro and a different dog, Barto, that lives at the country house as a guard dog. I think Barto is something mixed with a German shepard, but I’m not sure. Either way the dog is amazing. After a dinner of fish with a cilantro pesto and fresh avocados and rice, my host mom and I spent the rest of the afternoon playing with Barto and talking while my host dad took a siesta in the hammock. A little later we took a 20 min drive to a very small town called Colona that has a very old church dedicated to the virgin Dolores and an old friend of my host mom. This was another good example of not really knowing what to expect….
Host mom: Would you like to take a walk?
Me: Yes.
Host mom: We’re going to take the car.
Me: Ok.
Then we all get in the car and other then pointing out things along the way no mention is made to how long we’re going to be in the car or where the final destination is. For a while I thought we were going to see this really big rock (3rd largest monolith in the world for all of you who are keeping track), but then we turned down a narrow street and were parked in front of a church. It’s good, it keeps me on my toes and in a stable state of never being sure that I know exactly what is going on. Thought it would be nice to sometimes be able to communicate a little better with my host parents, I’m actually glad they speak no English because it means I can’t ever take the easy road. Until today I had only seen my host father once and for ~5 min. One of the first things he told me today was his top 3 list of American inventions which goes like this: (1) Coke-a-Cola, (2) Milkyway chocolate bars, and (3) Tabasco sauce. Its good to know that even in a country with so many chilies and spicy food, Tabasco is still appreciated.
For anyone that has been dying to call my Skype # starting today, most days M-F I’ll be online from ~5:30 – 7:00 pm (CST).




3 comments:
1. Barto's other part looks rather lobo-ish. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
2. Your previous post suggests that a flashlight, and perhaps compass, are integral to any evening out. And am shocked that you water management types left the house without hip boots. How perverse that the road itself was the arroyo.
3. So glad that you are blogging and posting pics! Tell us more!
xxx Julie
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. I LOVE what you are chosing to write about. What a hoot. Of course I would like to see some nerd details once the H2O work is underway!
Love ya,
Aunt Carla
Post a Comment